Mar 7, 2011

Weekend Round Up

So it is Monday. Which means another day at work with me staring at a phone that refuses to ring (definitely not complaining about this!), avoiding homework (I made a deal to start it at 11) and Facebook chatting with everyone I know (it is not my fault all my friends living in time zones 7 hours ahead of mine and the only time we actually can speak is some ungodly hour in the morning). So anyways, a large portion of my Monday routine is refreshing Twitter every 2 seconds and writing blog posts about my weekend so my mother can read all about how I got embarrassingly drunk after one wine spritzer (6 months of sobriety killed my tolerance) and was too hungover to attend the $40,000 classes she pays for each year. Oops.

Anyways I know everyone looks forward to this so here is the weekend roundup:


Most photogenic group ever
Naturally I am going to start off with Tuesday night in which I went out to dinner for my friend Simon's birthday at Nooshi. I had one margarita and could have failed a sobriety test. Go me! We were planning to hit up the bars later, but all I really wanted was go back to bed and drink more wine and call it a night. Circa 11pm. I am that fascinating.

Wednesday night Simon's roommate decided to surprise Simon with a little impromptu birthday party in his room. And by surprise, he meant that we all crowd outside his room and then rush into his bedroom where he was sleeping and wake him up by singing a song and shoving an Entemman's chocolate cake in his face. It was hilarious. We then spent the rest of the night listening to Tiesto. Perfect night.

The Basshunter concert was on Thursday. It was at this club called Fur and I went there once when I was a freshman. Apparently I had forgotten or had experienced too much trauma from that night to recall how I much I hated this place. We waited in line for a good half hour behind these two girls in booty shorts and high heels who kept remarking on how incredibly sexy their shadows looked while three different Jesus doppelgangers stood behind us. I also felt reallllly old as everyone there was maybe pushing 19. But, what can I say? I am a fan of the Basshunter and would wait three hours if I had to for my Swedish house. Actually forty minutes is generally my maximum.

The concert was really good. I basically just wanted to hear one song and when he finally sang it I went insane. So much to the point that my knees still hurt from me jumping so hard (I am seriously an old woman). 

Friday was a blur. Work went by so quickly and then I met up with Jenn to head over to a DC young professionals Shabbat dinner and happy hour. We ended up at this synagogue that looked more like a museum and we were surprised that around 250 people showed up. Oh and there was alcohol. Like a ton of it. And it was free. And because it's me and Jenn, we of course were found by the creepiest guy in the room who then may or may not have followed us the entire night. But the food was ace and we snuck out before dessert and headed for fro-yo instead. I also saw the most amazingly gorgeous Semitic man in my life. No big deal.

Saturday consisted of me getting up incredibly early, heading to Anacostia, heading back from Anacostia, going to the gym for 3 hours and coming back soaked in sweat (to my credit, it is like 80 degrees in our gym) and having one of the most life-altering naps ever. I then woke up, watched Something's Gotta Give and then the most amazing and epic night ever happened.
Prom photo on the steps on Saturday night.
Most gorgeous house ever.

It was the birthday party for our friend Simon (yes his third one that week) and his friend, who is also Chilean, was hosting it at his place. So the boys were joking about how the party was going to be at the Chilean embassy ... because there will be a lot of Chileans, right?

Wrong. You see our host happened to be the son of the Chilean ambassador. So as Jenn and I are walking to the party, we keep walking past embassies. And we keep joking about how we are going to round the corner and see these really crappy student apartments and that is where the party will be. So wrong again. We end up at the address and assume we're being pranked if it was not for the Latino music and Chilean flag on the house. Oh and the fact that there were about 100 people there. 

This house was not a house: it was a museum. Tapestries, vases, artwork and baby grand piano chilling in the living room kind of house. And it was not your typical party either. There was no Chex Mix or Natty Ice- there were sushi platters and Pisco and Chilean wine. And the ambassador and his wife were there just hanging out. And there were people from literally all over the world. I came back home with numbers and Facebook invites from the most random collection of countries. It was like a mini UN session sans treaties and instead with ridiculous amounts of alcohol. 

The party went on til around 5am and even by then I was still there thinking "I cannot believe I am at a house party at the Chilean ambassador's house". And "OMG their neighbors are the Egyptian embassy? That must be a little uncomfortable". And the music was blasting and a Uruguayan taught me how to dance to music that I will never be able to pronounce and I met an Irishman who I convinced was a leprechaun despite the fact that he was way over 6'5". Naturally we ridiculed a Canadian and merengued with Chileans. It was one of those amazing, incredible nights that I will never forget. 

Around 5 am when we all headed out, we were the only ones on Embassy Row and someone decided that it would be a good idea to head over to the Brazilian Embassy. Eventually we found cabs and headed off to the 24 hour I-Hop in Columbia Heights. 

I literally dream of IHOP pancakes
For anyone who has ever wondered, I-Hop circa 5am is like packed. And full of sketchy people. And the waiters are amazing and bring you out pancakes in 10 minutes and don't even judge you for the fact that your false eyelashes are falling off your eye or your hair looks like it got attacked by a banchee. 

So finally 6am rolled around and we decided to head back home and call it a night. And still today I cannot believe how incredible and fun that night was. It's nights like these that make me really sad to think about leaving DC, but also incredibly excited because I know that after I graduate I have so many more adventures ahead of me- not to mention Spring Break coming up on Friday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment