Dec 31, 2010

2010

So while everyone else is drinking themselves into a proper state of inebriation, I am curled up in bed with my dog in a mild food coma from my dinner I just devoured and watching MSNBC's "Lock Up"  (I literally watched this show for seven hours straight on Christmas Day). I am mentally and physically willing myself not to drift off into a unicorn inspired dream filled with dancing puppies and mountains made out of funfetti cake. Why you may ask? Not because I feel the need to mark yet another year pass and watch some ridiculous shiny ball drop from the sky to mark said transition into yet another year. After twenty two years of life on this earth, and I still cannot understand why the new year is such a big deal. It comes, it passes- so what? Anyways, I need to stay awake so that I can pick up my lovely friend Jenn at the airport. When does she land? Midnight. Poor girl thought she was landing at 12 noon today. Yet another reason why I think we need to switch to the 24 hour clock. 



Anyways, all this time alone (parents abandoned me in favor of Maine. Seriously- Maine), I have had time to reflect on all the beautiful memories and lessons from 2010. That and the fact that watching "Lock Up" for so long makes me seriously appreciate everything in my life and I am even more thankful for my middle-class upbringing and slightly overbearing mother. 

Anyways, 2010 was one of the happiest and most amazing years of my life. I decided to make a list of the top 10  highlights for all the people in the world who have no idea who I am, but have a few extra spare minutes to kill.


1. I spent my New Year's in Tel Aviv with all my amazing friends.

2. I survived the DC Snowpocalypse.

3. I almost got recruited to be a prostitute. Almost.
A lonnnng story that I will have to explain at a later date. Weirdly enough, I have no pictures that capture this beautiful and truly unique moment in my life. 

4. I got to go back to Israel where I spent an amazing three months living with my friends, partying every night and working with refugees- a summer that has truly changed my life.

5. I saw Holland make it to the finals of the World Cup!

6. I had not one- but two- summer romances. 
If I add this cutie, it would be three summer romances. 

7. I became a senior at university.
Seems like just yesterday that I was graduating from high school. And yes that is what we wore on graduation. 


8. I ventured outside my comfort zone and expanded my group of friends to include some incredible and inspirational people from all over the world.


9. I went to the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.

10. I got a 3.96 this semester. I'll just round it up to a 4.0. 
guess it was good I ended up studying...



and my favorite...
11. Through a series of unfortunate events, I found strength and inspiration through my friends who have come to mean more to me and become more like family. 
I have the wonderful gift of having friends in all corners of the globe and while I may not physically be with them all the time, I have learned that if I ever do need them, they are always a Skype call away and they have proved this time and time again. I love each and every one of them and my friendships are the one thing in the world I am so incredibly thankful for. 

On that note, have a happy- and safe- New Year. Please don't drink and drive- especially not on I-95 between the hours of 10:50-12:30. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment