Jan 4, 2011

48 Hours in New York City

Due to the mildly ridiculous blizzard, my trip to New York City got delayed by a day. I was a little bummed but privately elated that I could have an extra day spent in my PJs and watching the snow pile up outside. Tuesday morning, though, like a true trooper I managed to drag myself out of bed (okay- the couch. I was on another QVC binge) at 5am and head to South Station to catch the Fung Wah to NYC. 
[source]

The Fung Wah was definitely not my first option (Take a second to Google "Fung Wah + death" and you will understand why). It wasn't completely horrible though- I did meet a nice man who was going to NYC because God had told him too. Obviously, I mean God tells me to travel across country via death machines blasting Chinese music all the time. I just choose to put down the bottle of Jack Daniels and call it a night. But to each their own.



We finally got to NYC and I got off in Chinatown and hailed my very first NYC cab (I secretly felt so posh) and met Melissa at Grand Central Station. Basically Grand Central Station became the meeting place because it was the only place we only knew of in NYC and only because it was from the opening scene of "Gossip Girl". Obviously we are two very cultured girls.

NYC was an amazing time. We basically shopped the entire 48 hours and it was fun to watch Melissa's excitement over Victoria's Secret and Forever 21 The most fun aspect of the trip was to play tourist with Melissa and see America as she saw it: a shopper's mecca. It was also incredible how I think the whole time that I was there I only heard English maybe five times. The snow really had paralyzed the city, though. It was incredible to walk around the city- I felt like I was some artic explorer lost in the tundra. 

We got to meet up with my friend Leanna who moved to the city 3 days after graduating and is like the epitome of having your shit together. So, the complete opposite of me. It was great to have her as our unofficial tour guide. The highlight was pretty much the $2 burgers at a Chinese restaurant and then going to a bar where there was a refreshing absence of CNN and highly coifed men who get more ass in one hour than I can in one month. It's nice to remind myself that there are single, straight men in the world and yes, some of them are taller than 5 foot 5. 

The next day we met up with Zaron who had gotten a month off from the army and was our tour guide for the day, taking us to Chinatown and Little Italy. He had also turned 21 awhile ago but we got to take him to buy his first legal beverage in the States. We also introduced Melissa to Sam Adams, a good American beer unlike that Heineken nonsense. It was crazy to be with them when we were not in Israel. We have all been friends now for three years and we all met on a little kibbutz in Israel and to this day, we are still in each other's lives. It reassures me that I will have all of these amazing people and friends in my life for a very, very long time and that is one of the things I am honestly most incredible for in my life. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment