Dec 26, 2010

New York City Bound

It is alarming how quickly this winter break is passing by. I have already been home for 9 days and it has all been blurred into one stream of eating, sleeping, eating and napping. It depresses me a little to know that in two weeks I will be headed back to D.C. to finish out my last semester of my senior year. The depressing aspect is that I will no longer be able to just eat, sleep, eat and nap- not the fact that I will be finally escaping the grasps of George Washington University. 

Truthfully, I had been a little nervous about this winter break. It was the first break in which I had been home and not abroad in Israel. I would be celebrating my birthday without copious amounts of alcohol or friends to guide me home. Instead I found myself celebrating my birthday by gorging on birthday cake and watching seven straight hours of "Dexter". Surprisingly, it was really enjoyable- even though every time I see the Yoshi Blade commercial on TV I get the giggles and picture Dexter obliterating some child rapist with it. 



Anyways this weekend I will be heading over to New York City to meet up with my friend Melissa, a Dutch girl who I met on the kibbutz. Although I had been to New York when I was a Junior in high school, I remember we just visited all the ridiculous tourist spots and were required to remain within five feet of the group at all times. We also had duct tape closing our doors in our New Jersey hotel so if (God forbid) one of us did sneak off in the middle of the night, the duct tape and security guard would be able to catch us. Needless to say, this time in New York will be generally more focused on navigating the elusive metro (or is it subway?), shopping, hitting up the bar scene and stalking the entire cast of Law & Order: SVU. Basically, my perfect vacation.
[source]

Somehow in this three day blitzkrieg exploration of NYC I will also be trying to meet up with my friend Raphaelle, who I had traveled with this past summer, Jessie, a friend and roommate from Tel Aviv University and college-friend and inspiration for how to succeed in life after graduating, Leanna. And, to top of this amazing little rendezvous, Melissa and I will be couchsurfing with a young Israeli guy who sounds super nice and (hopefully) has no criminal record... though in reality, that has never really been a deal breaker for me.  

Unfortunately, the snow storm currently shaking the glass doors of the Borders I am currently holed up in is making me a little nervous that I might not actually make it to the Big Apple. It is oddly reminiscent of the last time I had attempted to make it to the city but those plans had been thwarted when the great Snowpocalypse of 2010 hit Washington, D.C. and we were holed up in our rooms for a week with nothing but beer and a seemingly never-ending supply of Ramen noodles. 

So let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope that Megabus is a true trooper and will deliver me safe and sound to NYC. And let's also hope that I will manage to actually purchase said Megabus tickets today so that I can make it and not pathetically beg my belabored mother to drop me off. And stay tuned for some more essays that I've written and need to tweak a little bit more- I know you are all rocking back and forth in the fetal position anxiously awaiting my next post. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment