Feb 4, 2011

Breaking the Silence

Last night I ended up at a J-Street sponsored event that highlighted the work and celebrated the book release of an organization in Israel called Breaking the Silence. The organization has collected testimonies from Israeli soldiers since 2004. Their information is open sourced and has been used by a variety of sources- including political platforms. The organization themselves, however, have just recently published their material in a book, in which I also received a copy. The aim of their organization is to offer transparency to the IDF and raise awareness about the reality facing Israeli soldiers in the occupied territories. 

I decided to attend the event rather spontaneously and was glad that I did. I find the organization compelling, especially since I have both known and currently know people serving in the Gaza and the West Bank. 

Reading through the book also reminded me of a conversation that I recently had with a friend who is dating a post-army Israeli. We were discussing the issue of PTSD and how it is so often ignored and undiagnosed in Israeli society. I remember particularly a boy I went out with who had recently finished his service in Gaza and was telling me stories of his day-to-day life. He was re-telling his stories with the distinct purpose of showing off (and let's face it- trying to get into my pants) and I could not help but be completely mortified. Every story he told me had me seriously concerned that I would be one day called as a witness in a war crimes tribunal. The things he had done were so wrong and so strikingly inhumane. 



With my relationships with soldiers- both past and present- I know that there is a very large "gray" area. I cannot judge this boy for the acts that he committed because I was not in his place. I was not subjected to months of grueling physical and psychological training nor have I ever felt the tenseness of gripping a gun, seemingly accepting that any moment could be your last if you make even the tiniest of mistakes. Who am I to tell someone that the actions they had committed are wrong? Especially with all the other underlying and prevailing conditions in which these men are in? I do know, however, that there needs to be a better support system for these men as they end their army service, and while I think it is becoming something that is more generally accepted in Israeli society, more work needs to be done. 

Overall, I think the mission undertaken by Breaking the Silence is more nuanced than it wishes to present itself. While talking to the representative from the organization, he admitted that the aim of the organization was to end the occupation in the territories. And because of that mission, most of the willing interviewees are soldiers who share this viewpoint. This makes me slightly apprehensive. 

Breaking the Silence has also been criticized by the IDF. In 2009 the IDF put out a report critiquing the organization for their publishing of their report without sending it to the IDF first so that the claims could be investigated. According to the IDF, the report "defamed" and "slandered' the IDF and its commanders. The IDF also pointed out how the report contained only anonymous sources and makes no mention of how the information was collected (though I did ask about this and discovered it was done by interview) and lastly, there was no mention of how the credibility of the sources was checked. 

I understand the grievances of the military: it is frustrating to have claims made against it that seemingly have no identification. However, the only way that Breaking the Silence could even obtain the information they received is through offering anonymity. The IDF, like many other armies, is a "boys club" and it is generally looked down upon for people to speak out against the army. Criticism can be seen as treason and it is especially difficult for these young boys who range from 18-22 to step out and talk about their experiences in a country in which it is honorable to do everything possible in order to protect your homeland and your family.

Obviously I am no expert on this subject. I am merely speaking from my own experiences of what I have experienced and discussions that I have had with my family and friends. It was great for me to attend this event and I appreciated the candor of which the representation of the organization spoke. While I cannot fault Breaking the Silence for the mission of collecting stories from soldiers serving in Gaza and the West Bank, I am not entirely sure that I do agree with the political agenda behind their organization. I think I would have more respect and the organization would have more credibility had it not so outwardly endorsed a certain agenda. But, those are just my noodlings. I would love to hear more about the organization and other people's opinions on it. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment